Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Farewell to Ryder

Ryder has been gone for 43 days all ready and has only a few weeks left until he reports to NY NY N Mission. He will get there just in time for Halloween at Time square! Scary! A quick recap of our MTC experience with our boy! The morning we were to take him to Salt Lake was a school morning. I got all the kids up and gathered them in the front room. I had Ryder fetch a kitchen stool and put it in the center of our family room and then advised him to sit. I told all the kids that as they went to school that day, their older brother would not be home when they returned. I needed them to take that thought and process it and then one by one, youngest to oldest, come and give there Brother a hug and tell him goodbye. The sobs started softly and gradually escalated to a Mothers compulsive cry. Such love exchanged was a moment to remember. We ended in a family group hug and then fell to our knees and held hands as I led our family in a special prayer.


The trip to Utah was nice and reflective. Ryder's fingers were moving at the speed of light as he frantically texted his remaining thoughts to all those in his inner circle. We arrived a little early and were able to get a few remaining things that he needed at the MTC book store. As we gathered in the chapel for the orientation meeting the chairs were hard but the feelings soft. A wonderful meeting ensued and then the anticipated climactic moment came to say goodbye. It was a ball fest! We new he was supposed to be going on a mission but yet it is so tough to let him go! Finally they had to call security to separate us and we eventually did the right thing and let him go. ha!

I am including a few of his e-mails that has brought us so much happiness. If you have the time, read them and enjoy the nice little video we put together of his pictures and friends he has made.

RYDER; So I was really homesick this week. I was really struggling to stay focused. But then yesterday our mission president gave the most amazing talk on tribulation so I have to share it with you!!! it was just what I needed.

9-8
He talked about how if there was no tribulation there could be no success, no accomplishment, no happiness. He said that therefore we can use our stumbling blocks as stepping stones. After all, can lemonade be made with only sugar? Could an eagle fly if the wind didn't give resistance? The trees that receive the least amount of water and have to endure the harshest conditions are the ones that can survive the wildest of storms. There must be opposition in all things. Only then can we be instruments in the lord's hands. Elder Oaks said that as missionaries we should be like a pen in the lords' hands. When we use a pen, we want it to say what we want it to say, not what it wants to say. We don't want it to tell us its tired or that it's on its pday :) We want it to be ready to write when we need it to. That is what I’m trying to be. When I am tired, when my companion is bugging me, when I’m homesick, when the showers aren't working, when Spanish is hard, when I miss Quincy, I must remember what I am, what I was called to do. These things are simply the winds and the storms that will make me stronger. We must embrace our challenges, meet them, grow for them. and later on my mission. When door after door is shut on me. I just have to remember that for every door that is shut on me...someone is getting baptized in central America hahahaha

9-15
We watched the Testaments last night. What an awesome movie!!! The father in that movie really moved me. He waited his whole life to see the Savior and then when he comes, he is blind. But he tells his son that as long as he can see him, then it is enough. But then the Savior comes over to him, calls him by name, and heals him. And he sees his Lord, his Shepherd, his Savior, MY savior. How could anyone not have a full heart!!!? Have you ever seen thousands of missionaries cry at once!!? I have!!!!


I know he came. I know he will come again. He is our Savior. He didn't just die for us, he suffered for every sin, bled for every sickness, felt every pain. He led a perfect life for us, nothing he did was for himself. He knows everyone that has ever walked the earth.

Pushups hahaha forget what I look like when I come home. I hope I look worn out, tattered, exhausted. I hope my shoes no longer have bottoms!!! I hope my suit is held together by duct tape, and my scriptures rubbed raw, and my knuckles scarred from knocking on doors!!! "For I know that my redeemer liveth and that he shall stand at the Latter Days upon the earth"

9-22
Last Tuesday we got to hear from Elder Richard G Hinckley, President Hinckley's son!!! I loved it because I could see some of the prophet I grew up with in him. His talk was awesome. You know how President Hinckley had his "B's" Well his son gave us his own "B's" for missionaries, so I thought that was the greatest ha-ha.

So I had the opportunity to check out the new website for the church. I can't remember if it's the LDS.org or the Mormon.org that's new but anyway...whichever it is it's awesome!!! Watch the talks by Elder Holland about "if we are Christians" and "if we believe in modern day prophets" or something like that...awesome awesome talks.

Last night we were talking about when the lord touched the stones to give them light. You all remember that story right? Well I was thinking about how if he was willing to do that, how much more willing is he to reach out and touch me...and my investigators, and fill them with the LIGHT of Christ? I am so glad for this gospel and to KNOW my purpose!

Much love!

Elder Connolly

9-29
So grandma Connolly...I can't tell you how much I loved your letter. And about Shawn and his endurance. It was perfect and I actually used it in a lesson hahaha. That night we went to a devotional and the talk was on how being happy is a CHOICE. I thought it was ironic! Being happy isn't a place, or a circumstance, or looking a certain way. Being happy is something we choose to be. Shawn is the perfect example of that. He took what could have been a life devastating experience, and made it into a life that he probably likes better than his life before the accident. He's amazing.

After that talk, another speaker talked about the Book of Mormon, and evidence that it was true. He told us about how the church went about translating the Book of Mormon to Arabic. They couldn't find a single member of the Church who was able to do it, so they hired a man named Sammie to do it. Now we know that Arabic is about the closest language to the language that the Book of Mormon was actually written in. So when Sammie was translating the Book, he started to notice things, and sayings that were ONLY used in his native language. For example...a river of water. Why would we use that phrase in English? Of course a river has water in it!!! But in Egypt they use that phrase because a river can also be of sand. Another verse, in Helamen, has eighteen "and"s in it. This is horrible grammar in English. But in Arabic it is perfect grammar. Sammie was baptized shortly after finishing his translation. It was cool to hear about that story...but the only evidence I need to know that the Book of Mormon is true is to read it. It truly is the most perfect book ever written and I know that it was written for us, in our day.

Love you all!!!! out of time...

10-09
So obviously the meat and potatoes of the week was conference. It is amazing to me how different it is watching conference now as a missionary...than it was before. Gone are the pillows and the snacks, the blankets, the fast forwarding through the choir. No more sleeping or distractions. All that is replaced with hard metal chairs, suit coats and giant theatre screens. But I loved it :) I remember Dad telling me that our spirits are like coals...and that we need to put them in the fire constantly or else they will cool off. Well if our spirits are like coals...then conference is like a BON FIRE ha-ha. I found myself trying to write down every word. It was cool to think that for a few hours I was doing the same thing as millions of people all over the world...the same thing my family was doing. Hearing the same counsel, listening to the same speakers. The gospel truly brings people together all across the globe. I was surprised though to see Elder HAMULA hahahahaha. Was Holden like freaking out!!!! I almost thought he was going to use him in his talk for a second hahahahaha. Just one of dozens of amazing talks. My favorite though came from my favorite Apostle. It was Jeffrey R Holland's talk on how there are angels today just as there were in times of old. These angels, both seen and unseen, surround us every day. "They are on the left and on the right and go before us to bear us up." I know this is true, I have felt them in my life. Some of these angels I call Grandma and Grandpa :) I love the Spirits that they bring and the kindness and their love. My dad is another angel in my life. Man...talk about good at everything. Is there anything he can't do??? Except maybe beat his son in Stratego? I love him so much...and I have found myself so many times wanting to be just like him, to talk to people like he does, to be able to make a lesson up on the spot, and sing, and whistle. He always makes everyone feel special. Then, there are my little angels :) My Tangee and Rainee and cash and Liam. Who make me smile every day, and make me a better person because I want to set an example for them. How many times have I not done something because I didn't want to set a bad example for THEM? They are my little guardian angels. Holden...who I've spent more time with than anyone on the planet, has also been an angel in my life. We may fight, and argue, and compete for everything...but at the end of the day he is my role model. I remember going to his room late at night and finding him reading his scriptures. What an example to me, and now I hear he is becoming an even better person. Quincy...k well I think everyone knows why I would consider her an angel hahahaha. But I won't embarrass her on here, instead I send her a nice long letter :) But I sent it to Kris's house cuz I didn't know if you ever got my letter to the other address...I love her for so many things and in so many ways. But last is my Mom. Who always takes care of me, making sure I am ok, and sending out momma bear if I'm not hahahaha. I think the term mamma's boy is one of the greatest things I can be called. Sometimes I don't know how much I need her...or how much she does for me. She is my IRON ROD. I can't help but think of that one Mark Shultz song. The one with "when you come home, no matter how far, come into my arms" Forever and for always, my momma she'll be. Now in three weeks I go into the world, so that the people of New York can be with their angels, their families forever. A missionary is someone who leaves their family for a short time...so that others can be with theirs for eternity.

Love you all...I am trying to write letters to everyone but if I don't have time...don't kill me

Elder Connolly

10-13
So the other day we listened to a story about two missionaries that were stuck in a storm. With the rain coming down so hard, they didn't think they would be able to make it to their last appointment and were deciding if they should call and cancel it. "it's up to you' said the senior to his junior companion. The elder was silent for a few seconds, smiled, and then said "Let's ride." Those two words I am taking to heart. This past week it's really starting to hit me the responsibility I have. This is the most important work on the face of the earth. When I am tired, or sick, or stuck in the rain, or get a hundred doors in a row slammed in my face, or am losing fingers and sending them to Tangee because it is so cold, or have every gang member of New York City in front of me. I want to be able to turn to my companion...give him a smile, and tell him...LET"S RIDE

Love you all!!!
Elder Connolly

No comments: