Friday, December 12, 2008

Berf Jerky Bridge

Picnics and leftovers go hand in hand as I grew up as a Connolly. I have vivid memories of my Grandma Connolly gathering all things fresh and old from her refrigerator and creating so much excitement in going on a picnic somewhere! I mentioned to my kids the possibility of going on a picnic with our Thanksgiving leftovers and then realized that life has not changed much since I was a kid. My kid’s drove me crazy until Kim and I relented and finally packed up the car with…as Yogi Bear would say “Hey Booboo let’s load up the peeicenic basket”. We brought some beef jerky and at one point Liam asked Mom “can I have some berf jerky?” We laughed and laughed and of course teased him for the rest of the trip. We then named the bridge that we found, the Berf Jerky Bridge. We went to Fish Creek Canyon. It is just past Canyon Lake and Tortilla Flats. The road from this point drops straight down and zigzags down about 2000 feet into a beautiful little canyon. Contrary to what the kids and mom might remember, my driving was very conservative and in perfect form. This road led us to a remote one lane bridge with canyon cliffs and dribbling water falls. Vibrant colored leaves still changing from autumns affects left us recognizing two of Gods greatest creations; the world and our kids. We then experienced heaven for a day. These are some of the pictures that we took to recollect our sweet little experience. The two songs are from The Eagles. One is new and one is old but both fit this little moment just perfect!!

2 comments:

sherry said...

It looks like an absolutely perfect day. And maybe the beginning of a great tradition! (And it made me want to dig out my old Eagles CDs;)

The Tanner and Bryan Experience said...

Great Uncle Todd as a pirate... nice. Seven Bridges Road is one of my favorites.